Mr Morrison said on Thursday he had been in touch with Health Minister Greg Hunt, the Secretary of Health Dr Brendan Murphy and Chief Medical Officer Dr Paul Kelly who will keep a “close watch” on whether the third COVID jab could be brought forward.
“Of course we would strongly support that and we’re ready to go if that’s what they would like to do,” he added.
Mr Hunt announced in late November he had asked the Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation (ATAGI) to review the national booster program “in light of International evidence more generally, with regards to immunity and also in light of the Omicron variant.”
ATAGI recommends no changes to booster program
The Health Minister said at the time the decision would ultimately be up to ATAGI which acts independently but he confirmed the government was “prepared with supplies”.
“We will not hesitate to take additional steps if the medical evidence is that more are required.”
ATAGI last week recommended that no changes be made to the booster program, finding no evidence to suggest an earlier shot could provide greater protection against the virus. 
Mr Morrison on Thursday reiterated the booster timeline was up to the medical experts. 
He also spruiked the country’s booster program and highlighted Australia was one of the first to “introduce a whole of population booster program and we did that before Omicron”.
Scott Morrison says his government would support potentially bringing forward the timeline for the national booster program. Picture: NCA NewsWire / Damian Shaw
Stream the latest news on COVID-19 with Flash.
“I think the events only show the wisdom of that decision, we have ample booster shots that are available,” he continued.
The Prime Minister further praised the booster advertising campaign which “is already in the can and ready to go to encourage Australians to get their booster shots”.
“But what this shows is the proactive decision that we took as a government to go to a whole of population booster program, it was the right decision, it’s a decision that many other countries hadn’t made and I think it showed the wisdom of that decision listening to the medical advice.”
Australia’s booster program officially kicked off on Monday, November 8. 

Recommended Posts

No comment yet, add your voice below!


Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *