Human remains found in a Florida reserve last month were confirmed to belong to Mr Laundrie, the boyfriend of Ms Petito, who was murdered while the couple were on a cross-country road trip.
The District 12 Medical Examiner confirmed in a press release Mr Laundrie’s death resulted from a gunshot to the head.
“The manner of death has determined to be suicide,” the statement said.
The boyfriend of murdered woman Gabby Petito has been found to have died as the result of a gunshot to the head, with the medical examiner ruling it a suicide.
A lawyer for Mr Laundrie’s family confirmed to the Washington Post his parents had been informed of the cause of death.
“Chris and Roberta are still mourning the loss of their son and are hopeful that these findings bring closure to both families,” attorney Steve Bertolino said.
The recovery of human remains at the Myakkahatchee Creek Environmental Park and Carlton Reserve in October brought to a close a month-long search for Ms Petito’s boyfriend, who became a person of interest after the 22-year-old woman’s remains were found in Wyoming on September 19.
The coroner determined Ms Petito had died of strangulation.
Ms Petito’s family reported her missing on September 11 after being unable to contact the young blogger for two days.
twitter
twitter
Mr Laundrie returned to his family’s home in North Port on September 1 alone after the couple had set out on a four-month road trip two months prior.
The 23-year-old had not been charged but a federal warrant for his arrest had been issued as he had reportedly used his girlfriend’s bank card days after she was last seen alive.
A statement from Richard Stafford, attorney for the Petito family, said the Schmidt and Petito family – referring to Ms Petito’s parents and step-father – had been “aware of the circumstances surrounding the suicide of the sole suspect in Gabby’s murder” but confirmed they would not be making a statement at present upon request by the United States Attorney’s Office and Teton County Prosecutor’s Office.
“The family was asked not to make any comments and let the FBI continue their investigation. The family was asked to wait for the United States Attorney’s Office to make a determination on whether any additional individuals will be charged,” he said.
“When that determination is made, we will have a statement.”

Recommended Posts

No comment yet, add your voice below!


Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *