On Tuesday Annastacia Palaszczuk announced a host of new COVID restrictions for the unvaccinated that will come into place when the state reaches 80 per cent double dose vaccination.
Those who are unvaccinated will be banned from hospitality venues, stadiums and festivals which could see unvaccinated athletes locked out from the likes of The Gabba or Suncorp Stadium.
Unvaccinated NRL players could find themselves locked out of Queensland stadiums such as Suncorp Stadium (pictured). Picture: Chris Hyde/Getty Images
There is a number of big name NRL players who have previously expressed their concern with getting vaccinated including the Melbourne Storm’s Nelson Asofa-Solomona and Queensland Origin star Josh Papalii, the Daily Telegraph reported.
In response to the Queensland government’s new restrictions NRL CEO Andrew Abdo said the competition boasted a vaccination rate of more than 95 per cent across the 450 contacted players.
“Whilst we haven’t mandated vaccinations, we have been incredibly strong in educating and facilitating as many players as possible getting vaccinated,” he said.
Palaszczuk government ‘finally acknowledged’ it must live with virus
“And the players and clubs have responded, so we have a high vaccination rate.”
Mr Abdo added that while some NRL clubs have a 100 per cent vaccination rate among players the competition would be closely following the public health orders in each state.
“We will adapt to and adhere to the public health orders and obviously that will mean that the very, very small group of players that choose not to be vaccinated will have to adhere to those public health orders,” he said.
“We are also working on some pretty stringent protocols… those protocols are designed to keep everyone safe and to keep the competition running.”
A ‘real wake up call’ to unvaccinated Queenslanders
Mr Abdo confirmed that the NRL would have no issue with unvaccinated players not being allowed to train or play at certain stadiums due to public health orders.
Under the new restrictions which will come into place when the state reaches 80 per cent double dose vaccination those who have not received two jabs will no longer be able to visit hospitality venues, stadiums and entertainment venues.
The Premier said it was both a reward for those who had made the effort to get fully vaccinated and a precaution for when Queensland’s borders reopened.
“People deserve to know that they can go to these places and they are safe. This is our next step in keeping Queenslanders safe,” Ms Palaszczuk said.

Recommended Posts

No comment yet, add your voice below!


Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *