Police confirmed on Friday night three men had been fined $4,135 for breaching the Chief Health Officer directions after allegedly crossing the border on Saturday to attend the NRL match.
“Police investigations allege the trio travelled from Sydney into Queensland through the M1 on the Gold Coast shortly after 2:30pm on Saturday, October 2, with incorrect border passes,” a police statement read.
Probed about the incident at Saturday’s COVID-19 update, Ms D’Ath said she was still collecting details “but it is extremely disappointing”.
“It doesn’t matter who you are, if you are sneaking across our borders you are putting our community at risk, and it doesn’t matter the reason you are coming over,” she told the press conference.
“If you haven’t got a lawful travel pass and border declaration to come, you should not be crossing the border.
“It’s just appalling, it’s really disappointing that it’s happened.”
The three men returned negative COVID tests and have since left Queensland.
Queensland to begin home quarantine trials on Monday
“If you think about the irresponsibility of walking into a stadium knowing you’ve come from a hotspot and putting everyone at risk. I am extremely disappointed, and I hope it sends a clear message to other people that this is not acceptable,” Ms D’Ath continued.
“It doesn’t matter what fine we give you, I think the public will judge you for that behaviour.”
It comes as Queensland recorded zero cases of COVID-19 overnight, marking a fourth consecutive day of no new infections.
Residents of Brisbane, Gold Coast, Moreton Bay, Logan Townsville and Palm Island have now returned to stage three restrictions after an easing of measures was announced from 4pm on Friday.
Three men have been fined for allegedly crossing the border from NSW into Queensland to attend the NRL Grand Final in Brisbane last weekend. Picture: NCA
Chief Health Officer Dr Jeannette Young confirmed three COVID infections reported in the past 24 hours were acquired overseas, with two detected in hotel quarantine while the third was detected in a mariner on a ship off the far northern coast of Queensland. 
She said Health was continuing to assess whether he should be brought off the ship – which left Indonesia seven days ago – or whether the case could be managed on board.

Recommended Posts

No comment yet, add your voice below!

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *