The two ballistic test missiles were fired off North Korea’s east coast into the sea, South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff confirmed.
It comes after cruise weapons were tested by North Korea earlier this week sparking international concern over Supreme Leader Kim Jong-Un’s military activities.
The inflammatory move has put both South Korea and Japan on high alert with South Korea’s Joint chiefs of Staff confirming the military was ready to respond at a moment’s notice.
twitter
Both Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga and South Korean President Moon Jae-in summoned their national security councils in the wake of the incident, Reuters reported. 
South Korean officials said the military was maintaining “a full readiness posture in close cooperation with the United States”.
While the long-range cruise missile test earlier this week was not in breach of United Nations sanctions, the firing of ballistic missiles violates international resolutions.
North Korea’s long-range weapon tested on Monday was capable of hitting most parts of Japan and experts report the cruise missile could have had the capacity to carry a nuclear warhead.
Australia, South Korea pledge to deepen military ties
However, the United Nations Security Council has not outlawed the testing of these missiles, considering ballistic weapons a far greater threat.
Ballistic missiles can travel further, faster and carry larger loads.
The United Nations and other interested parties such as the United States have long sought to curtail North Korea’s nuclear activities.
In August, Kim Jong-Un indicated he could be willing to re-engage in talks in exchange for a major easing of sanctions as his country suffers through a dire famine.
North Korea firing off missiles to ‘get back on the front page’
North Korea is up against a severe food shortages and an economic crisis after a cycle of droughts and floods.
Vital crops were badly damaged in 2020 resulting in North Korea dispensing emergency reserves of rice usually held for wartime crises.
The United Nations estimated in July that North Korean food supplies would be reduced by 860,000 tons and warned the country would face shortages from August to October.
This has been further exacerbated by the nation spending more than one year almost completely cut off from its closest trading partner China in a so-called bid to stop the spread of COVID-19.
Slimmed down Kim Jong Un oversees parade marking North Korea’s 73rd anniversary
Despite major food shortages Mr Kim told state media epidemic prevention was of “paramount importance” and restrictions would not be “loosened”.
The North Korean Dictator’s professed focus on preventing a virus outbreak has been undermined by his refusal to accept millions of vaccines offered by the United Nations.
South Korean and Chinese diplomats held talks in Seoul on Wednesday with the recent missile test and stalled Pyongyang-Washington talks believed to be on the table for discussion.
Negotiations between the two parties have been stalled since 2019.

Recommended Posts

No comment yet, add your voice below!


Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *