US Navy Capt Bill Urban, a spokesperson for the military’s Central Command, said the drone strike was an action taken in “self-defence” as secondary explosions found the vehicle had been carrying a “substantial” amount of explosive material.
He said authorities continued “assessing the possibilities of civilian casualties, though we have no indications at this time”.
‘This strike was not the last’: Biden vows to hunt down those responsible for Kabul bombing
 
“US military forces conducted a self-defence unmanned over-the-horizon airstrike today on a vehicle in Kabul, eliminating an imminent ISIS-K threat to Hamad Karzai International Airport,” Capt Urban said in a statement.
“We are confident we successfully hit the target. Significant secondary explosions from the vehicle indicated the pressure of a substantial amount of explosive material.”
There was a report at least one child, among two killed and three injured in the blast, according to a local police chief.
NED-4387 Escape from Kabul
Witnesses reported a large blast shaking the neighbourhood north of Kabul’s Airport as clouds of black smoke leached the air.
Two US military officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, told AP the airstrike targeted a vehicle which carried “multiple suicide bombers”.
In a statement released on Saturday, President Joe Biden warned the situation in Kabul remained extremely dangerous and that another retaliatory attack was likely within the next 24-36 hours.
twitter
 
 
“The situation on the ground continues to be extremely dangerous, and the threat of terrorist attacks on the airport remains high,” he said.
“Our commanders informed me that an attack is highly likely in the next 24-36 hours. I directed them to take every possible measure to prioritise force protection, and ensured that they have all the authorities, resources and plans to protect our men on the ground.”
On Friday, the US launched a drone strike that killed two high-profile ISIS-K members.
NED-4392-The Taliban’s leaders
“This strike was not the last. We will continue to hunt down any person involved in that heinous attack and make them pay. Whenever anyone seeks to harm the United States or attack our troops, we will respond,” Mr Biden said, following the incident.
The strike on Sunday is the second carried out by US forces in Afghanistan since an Islamic State group claimed responsibility for a “heinous” bombing on Thursday that killed at least 169 Afghans, 13 US troops, and injured at least 143.
Afghan community rally in Washington DC calling for delay to withdrawal deadline

Recommended Posts

No comment yet, add your voice below!


Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *